Monday, October 14, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 10/14/13




I am excited to be a part of the conversation at #IMWAYR! Thank you to SheilaJen and Kellee for inspiring and hosting this meme.


I have been eagerly anticipating the arrival of Anne Ursu's The Real Boy and I was not disappointed by this follow up to Breadcrumbs (which I loved but have a surprisingly difficult time convincing kids to read, which is so disappointing).  

There is good reason for all the buzz about this book!  Usru blends fantasy and fairy tale with a character who has what we could call Asperger’s or autism to create a beautiful story with many twists and surprises. I loved the magical world and characters that Ursu creates and this story can be read on many different levels.  I feel confident that kids will love it for the mystery and excitement and those who connect to Oscar on a personal level will be deeply grateful to discover him.

And, as an irrelevant aside, I was utterly captivated by Oscar's relationships with his cats - the emotional depth of his connection to them is perfect.  I will be recommending this one to many readers!


My other reads this week:

Salt: A Story of Friendship in a Time of War

Read my review









The Extra

Read my review








Being Henry David

Read my review









Maya's Notebook

Read my review

No comments:

Post a Comment