Monday, December 23, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 12/23/13




I am excited to be a part of the conversation at #IMWAYR! Thank you to SheilaJen and Kellee for inspiring and hosting this meme.

As I tell my students... the best part of vacation is all that time for reading!  Hooray for vacation reading!


Rec. for grades 5-8
Last week I read one of my favorite books of the year: Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell.   This one was a surprise favorite for me. When Sophie is a baby, the ship she is traveling on sinks; she is found by Charles floating in a cello case. Charles takes her home and raises her in London. As she grows older, though, she wonders about her mother - could she still be alive? Charles and Sophie head to Paris to solve this mystery and along the way meet a group of kids who live on Parisian roofs. The characters are perfect, the writing is poetic and the story is sweet. I loved it.





Rec. for grades 4-8


Another highlight from last week was Mountain Dog by Margarita Engle.  This is a beautiful poetic narrative about a boy who is sent to live with his great uncle in the Sierra Nevada mountains after his mom is incarcerated for pit bull fighting. Tony experiences a whole different kind of life and develops special relationships with Gabe, a search and rescue dog, and his great uncle, Tio. The language is spare, but emotions are so well captured by Engle. I loved this and with its great cover and accessible writing, I think it will be a hit with middle grade readers.





Rec. for grades 5-8

I didn't think I was going to like Athlete Vs. Mathlete by W. C. Mack, but I did!  This is a  funny (yet poignant) take on the stereotypes that exist in schools and families. Told alternately by twin brothers (one an athlete, one a mathlete) I loved the way this alternated point of view, so readers get to see how both the athlete and the mathlete experience events and emotions.  Solid character development combined with a fast pace make this a winner!







Rec. for grades 4-6

Finally, Super Schnoz and the Gates of Smell by Maine author Gary Urey is about as silly as its name.  Completely goofy and entirely implausible, Urey hits all the hilarious notes that his middle grade boy readership desires.  I met Gary Urey at a book signing and he mentioned that this is the first in a series - the second will be out early in 2014.  I anticipate that there will be great demand for it  in my library when it arrives!

5 comments:

  1. Interested in Athlete vs. Mathlete, thanks! Can't wait to read Mountain Dog, in my next book order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished Rooftoppers this week too! I haven't read your other 3, but I just requested Mountain Dog. Have a wonderful vacation and a happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I hope you love Mountain Dog as much as I did... it's been a good year for poetic narratives!

      Delete
  3. Hello there Laura, I can't wait to find and read Margarita Engle's newest novel-in-verse. I must have read practically all of her novels, such a beautiful writer. I love her historical novels-in-verse. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, now that I've read Mountain Dog, I must go back and read Engle's earlier books. She writes beautifully!

      Delete