Monday, June 1, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6/1/15

Thank you to SheilaJen and Kellee for inspiring and hosting the #IMWAYR meme.


I have been a huge fan of Matt Tavares since he visited my library back in 2006.  I love baseball and many of Tavares' books, both fiction and nonfiction, highlight and reflect the beauty of the game.  I didn't think he could get any better, but his latest effort is my favorite.  

Growing Up Pedro tells the story of Pedro Martinez, one of the greatest pitchers ever (and my personal favorite).  This is a big, oversize book, as befitting the subject who often seems larger than life.  What I especially love about Growing Up Pedro, though, is the way that Tavares frames Pedro's life in relation to his brother, Ramon.  Pedro is clearly the star of the show, the masterful pitcher who can be both goofy and fearsome, but Ramon is the hero.  

The illustrations in this book are truly stunning.  From Pedro's childhood in the Dominican Republic to his game face on the mound, Tavares has perfectly captured the essence of "Ramon's little brother."

Growing Up Pedro is a wonderful book for baseball fans of all ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment